Monday, July 20, 2009

Photo Challenge #24

I was so excited about this challenge when I heard what it was. I realize that I am SUPER late, but I just got back from a service project called the ASP (Appalachia Service Project) Their mission is to make houses warmer, safer and drier. Our team consisted of 5 AMAZING high school kids from the United Methodist Church of Whitefish Bay and 2 adult leaders (I was the mean leader) Luckily while I was there, I took my camera and was able to document a day which worked out great for the challenge. I had 2 different venues in my day. First is the work site where we are doing underpinning on a trailer and building stairs. Then we went to the picnic at the lake. Enjoy!


Challenge #24

Pick a day this week and tell us about it using your camera.

Rules:
1.) Submit as many or as few photos as you'd like.
2.) B/W or Colour
3.) please no tweaking
4.) Photos due Sat. July 18, 2009




These are the painted boards that are going to be the studs in our framing.


Dear Kelsey had a beautiful injury while installing them.

After they were installed, we put insulation behind them.



This is us sitting on the stairs that we built.


Picnic Pictures!

Circling up to bless the food. (Methodists often hold hands in a circle to pray)

Leonard and his dad Leonard.


This is one of the children from the families that we worked with.

This is Kat the ASP staff person playing a game that Richard had made up.

4 comments:

  1. Erica,

    I'm ASP's Director of Volunteer Recruitment, and I LOVE the way you captured your day! Particularly like the holding hands photo, with scenery in the background. I'm working on redesigning our website, and I wondered if I might use that photo?

    Thanks so much for serving with ASP!

    Take care,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me very happy :-) I would love for you to use the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. erica- this is a beautiful set of photos!
    I especially liked the one with the injury (as grotesque as that sounds) I love the vivid red with her bright green shirt in the background.
    I really enjoy the one of the little girl leaning her head on the table- the expression is just amazing- great capture!!!
    ~Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so so so happy that you decided to take your "nice" camera with you. I do the same thing...wondering if I should take my nice camera and worrying that it will get broken or stolen. But really, what's the use of having it if you don't use it and take it to important events! I love that we got to see a little glimps of this really cool service project that you do every year.

    The first photo and hand holding photo jumped out at me right away. I'm glad that that lady also noticed how lovely the hand holding picture is. You had just the right angle with the light, and the background adds so much to such a simple subject! We hold hands around the table when we pray each night. It's something I learned from some baptist friends and have done ever since. I think it's a great thing to do and miss it when people just sit with their hands in their laps. This photo gives me a good feeling of friendship and brotherhood. Especially since it's quite obvious from the body language that this is not a couple in love.

    I really enjoy the children in the last three photos but wonder why the images are blueish. for some reason that bothers me a little.

    Wonderful use of light in the second from last image!

    diana

    ReplyDelete